Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day

The first day of Kindergarten is often a trying and exhausting four and a half hours. I have had years when I felt I could collapse within minutes of walking the students out for the day. Luckily for me, the last couple of years things have gone more smoothly. I think one of the reasons for this is "Herm the Worm". He is a puppet I have. A worm who lives in a strawberry. He comes out of the strawberry only when the students are all sitting quietly, AND he teaches them how to sit correctly on the rug. We pretend it is a game... because games are always more fun than just practicing... Herm whispers in my ear what he wants them to do with their legs, then I call it out. After a couple of days they have "criss cross applesauce" down pat!

One of the little projects we make on the first day is a self portrait. You can see how telling a simple drawing can be at this age. What a large range of ability there is already! That's what makes teaching fun and worthwhile, though, seeing the growth that comes for kids. What a fun year I am going to have!

1 comment:

Cindy Anna said...

I absolutely loved your student self-portraits....especially the one with herm the worm! They were a little more active when I came in today which was nice to see. I hope my new schedule works then I will be able to stay in the Land of Kindergarten longer than usual! :)