Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Great Math Idea



This is an idea developed by my partner to integrate art and number concept. Each month starting in September we create a quilt square.
1. The background paper is 12 x 12 inches. In this sample that is light blue.
2. The students first glue down 2 squares (each 6 x 6 inches - black). My partner glues these down so they are all straight. I like to have the kids glue them. I use the words top right and bottom left... understanding these terms is part of our Math standards for K in CA.
3. In the top left square we always glue the die cut number (1 - for this quilt).
4. Next we cut out a clip art Earth (printed off the internet) because their is only one Earth.
5. After that we cut a circle from a 3 x 3 inch yellow square to make the middle of the sun. Then we cut the rays from one or more 2 x 4 inch rectangles. I talk about how we only have one sun in our solar system.
6. The next step is to draw our own face on a 4 x 4 inch white square. There is only one of each of us!
7. Finally, (and I forgot this step on my quilt, but can add it later) we add a penny sticker or a photocopied penny next to the number one.

Next month we will make our 2 quilt. It will have a couple of addition sentences on it. At the end of the year, when we have 10 pages, we make them into a book to take home.

2 comments:

Cindy Anna said...

I just love how all the suns are so different!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! Would you be able to give more detail on what you add for numbers 2-10?