Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Art


One of our favorite books for September is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. We especially like to sing along with the CD. If you do not have it, you should rush right over to amazon and get it. It is even worth the shipping fees! We sing/read this book every day after lunch for a good 2-3 weeks. One of our favorite exploration (choice) time activities is to sit on the teacher's chair and hold the book while the song plays on the CD. We also make this adorable art page for our art/writing memory books.
We start with a 12x18 inch piece of orange paper. An adult glues a 10x16 piece of white to the center and adds the pink dots on the border. I use a circle punch for the dots.
First, the kids make a torn paper trunk from a brown rectangle. (Tearing paper is super difficult for K students in September, but I make lots of extra pieces for kids who need to try again.)
Next, the kids cut 3-5 fronds for their tree. They "cut the corners off" then "take some bites" out of the sides.
After that, they add 2 red coconuts. (These are precut using a larger circle punch)
Finally, they add letter stickers "climbing" up their coconut tree. My partner, Diane, used foam letters on hers this year, and they look really cute too. (Hi, Diane!)

1 comment:

Cindy Anna said...

Okay, so I feel totally lame because I've never actually read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. It wasn't until yesterday when I was sitting with Julian that I read some of it....I think I may need to listen to that CD!