Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's OK to be Different!




One of my favorite art projects of the whole year....


First we read the book It's OK to be Different by Todd Parr. Then at my reading group table each child decides what his or her sentence will say. I dictate the sentences on the back of their papers, and they use their pencils to make a drawing. I encourage them to make the drawing fill up the paper. f they finish the drawing, they use a Sharpie marker to go over all of the lines they drew and erase the pencil marks. If they don't get time to do this, I do it that afternoon. I also type their sentences on the computer. The next day, the students use their watercolor paints to fill the whole page up with color. I encourage them to use non-traditional colors like Todd Parr does in his book. They also write their names into the rectangles and paint those.

No comments: